Re: fill length of visual line mode

From: Ivan Kanis
Subject: Re: fill length of visual line mode
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 09:59:35 +0200

October, 04 at 18:25 Stefan wrote:

>> Let's forget about the code I posted. It's a stupid hack that works for me.
>>> But it does beg the question: what if the window is smaller than
>>> fill-column? Should it then fill at the window's edge or should it
>>> continue as if truncate-lines is set?
>> I didn't think of that. I bet users will want either. So a variable
>> will say what to do.
>
> I think pursuing the window-configuration-change-hook path is actually
> a good idea: if we can get the desired behavior via Elisp code, it's
> generally preferable (the C code is hairy enough as it is).  It also
> makes it easier to offer configurability (e.g. to choose whether to
> center the visible text in the window, or not).

OK. I won't do it straight away as the gnus hack is sufficient for me
for now. I am planning to use visual line mode for org in the future. If
I do it I will revisit your suggestions to write some elisp that can be
added to Emacs proper.

Ivan
--
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.