Re: Marking changes to be backported

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Marking changes to be backported
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 02:37:30 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> There needs to be an agreed convention to mark trunk changes that should
>> be backported to the release branch at some later date. "Remember to do
>> it" doesn't scale.
>
> If it's really needed, we can have a "emacs-24-next" branch for that.

I think it will be needed if: there are to be pure bug-fix releases, and
pretesting is going to continue to take months, and development is going
to continue at the same time. (There are probably tons of things fixed
in trunk today that should go into version 24.5, if there is one. Who's
going to dig them all out and backport them? No-one.)

> Then we merge emacs-24 into emacs-24-next, and then we merge
> emacs-24-next into trunk.

Yet more branches sounds more complicated to me (doesn't that mean you
need to know when you make a change where it should go?), but I don't
care about the system so long as there is one.