Conventions for writing comments

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Conventions for writing comments
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 11:20:11 +0200

Hello,

I have a small question about conventions for writing comments... Can
I consider the following to be the rule?

- If it's a *sentence* (like ";; Search for the first instance", in the
  imperative form), comments must begin with a capital and end with a dot.

- Otherwise (like ";; pattern found"), comments must begin with a small
  letter and don't end with a dot.

?

Tips on writing comments found on
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Comment-Tips.html
aren't very helpful regarding my question, as you see things such as:

- "; there was there was a base version to which this looks like
  a subversion", that is a sentence with no capital nor dot...

- ";; Update mode line.", that is a sentence with both beginning capital
  and to.

- ";;;; The kill ring", an expression with a capital...

Though, that page seems to be more on the usage of ";", ";;", ";;;" and
";;;;" than on the usage of capitals and dots.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban