Re: Conventions for writing comments

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Conventions for writing comments
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 17:06:18 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I have a small question about conventions for writing comments... Can
>> I consider the following to be the rule?
>
> The main documentation we follow for coding style is the GNU Coding
> Standard (https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Comments.html)
> which says, among other things:
>
>    Also, please write complete sentences and capitalize the first word.
>
>> - Otherwise (like ";; pattern found"), comments must begin with a small
>>   letter and don't end with a dot.
>
> I prefer to capitalize and punctuate this as well (BTW: this is also
> a sentence).

Interesting. I wouldn't have called that a sentence. For me, it should
be "pattern is found" or "pattern has been found" or such to become
a sentence. But that's out of the story, and the information is that,
for you, the conventions are that *all* comments must be treated the
same way. Thanks for the information.

Best regards,
  Seb

--