Re: Overlay mechanic improvements

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Overlay mechanic improvements
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 15:14:42 -0400

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand, more or less.

    If you write, say, word_text instead of word\_text (throwing LaTeX into
    inadvertant math mode), the resulting nuisance overlay will need to get
    manually removed (with keyboard sequence or mouse click) after
    correcting the syntax error since no image will reappear in that area
    after the correction.

If you regenerate that region, and it makes no image, can't that delete
the overlay automatically?

    preview-latex does an excellent job, but much of its code is not at all
    related to the AUCTeX user interface or the LaTeX input language, and
    yet it will work for nothing but the AUCTeX user interface and the LaTeX
    input language.

What is the obstacle to supporting other interfaces?

Would preview-latex be of any use with Texinfo?
Maybe not, since generally there are few equations in Texinfo.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation