Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 09:33:44 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > That sounds like you are talking about a processing pipe.

No, I'm talking about a Unicode conformant process.  If you don't need
Unicode conformance and do need to emit garbage, you can specify a
Unicode-like but non-conformant codec.  All I'm saying (and Mark I
believe is on the smae page, if not the same octet) is that

(1) Emacs codecs corresponding to published standards (specifically,
    UTF-8 and other UTFs) should conform to those standards by
    default, even where that means annoying users (they'll learn to
    request non-conformant codecs if that's really what they want).

(2) Emacs should make special effort at conformance with Unicode
    because it is especially well-defined.

Making this pleasant for users will require some effort, but will be
well worth it in the end.