Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 16:31:50 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > > who may lose their life savings if a filter for 419 phish fails
 >
 > Can we have terrorism with that scaremongering?

Are you really unaware that such exploits happen every day?  You're
not the only programmer who deprecates security because *your*
applications are "secure enough" and it "can't" happen to you, you
know.[1]  That's *why* those exploits are possible -- because some of
those good honest folks were *dead wrong*, and all too often we don't
know which ones were wrong until somebody gets scammed.

 > If you keep confusing the responsibilities of platform, application
 > and user, you arrive at a system you have to work around with
 > constantly because it knows better than you what you want.

Unfortunately, I'm not the one who lacks understanding.  I'm well
aware that security is costly in convenience and functionality.
Nevertheless, I am willing to suffer those losses (which will be far
less than your exaggerated fears), and advocate imposing them on you
as well, because I'm aware of the consequences of doing otherwise.

Footnotes:
[1]  Heck, that's what the devils at the top of Tokyo Electric Power
Co said as their Fukushima reactor blew its own roof off, and they
*continue* to say that such accidents are "unimaginable".