Re: Proposed extension of show-paren-mode: Highlight parens when point i

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Proposed extension of show-paren-mode: Highlight parens when point is in L or R margin.
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 08:39:09 +0000

Hi, Eli.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 05:21:24PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > So: If point is in the LH margin of the code, highlight the first paren
> > on the line and its match, or failing that, the last paren on the line
> > with its match.

> Thanks, but PLEASE don't call this a "margin".

OK, not "margin".  But what, then?  I tried for some time to come up
with something better that would still fit into a ~78 character first
line of the doc string for the new customisable variable.  So far, I've
had this:

"If non-nil, try to show parens when point is in LH or RH margin."

Maybe I could omit the "try to ".  Maybe I should.  How about something
like:

"If non-nil, show parens when point is before or after the line's code."

?  It's a bit clumsy, though.

As for the name "show-paren-when-point-in-margin", that would have to
become "show-parens-when-point-outside-code", or something, which isn't
quite accurate (sometimes, short comments are inside a line of code),
and isn't very nmonic.

> We have already too many overloaded meanings of this term, so let's
> avoid adding yet another one.

Hmm.  Or, perhaps we could just admit this, and allow "margin" to be
used loosely whenever appropriate.  ;-).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).