Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 22:40:51 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> libunistring (which is what GUILE currently uses for UTF-8 processing)
> has a _closed_ set of recovery strategies.  As it stands, it is useless
> for implementing Emacs-like behavior because "encode invalid bytes into
> something libunistring can deal with transparently" is not part of its
> recovery strategies.  Once you _have_ a useful encoding into the space
> of properly working strings, _any_ recovery strategy is easy to
> implement on top of that.
>
> For a platform, being forced to a closed set of behaviors is an
> extremely limiting choice.

How many times do I have to repeat it?  I agree we should provide an
*option* for doing what you want.  No matter how many times I say it,
you keep pretending that I didn't say it, and spreading FUD about Guile
"forcing" policies on applications.

What you wrote above simply shows your ignorance of Guile.  Yes, we use
libunistring for some things, but we do _not_ use it for character
encoding conversions.  For that we use iconv, which gives us all the
tools we need to provide Emacs-like behavior.

Stop setting up strawmen and hacking away at them.  I've got better
things to do with my time than countering your endless stream of FUD,
which by now has been featured on LWN.

     Mark