Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:54:05 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
you intentionally chose an example where you know it works, and
published that on a public mailing list, without warning the kids not
to try it at home?

It's perfectly fine for users to try "M-x grep -r" at home. It's not going to hurt them. It's a common idiom, and lots of people use it every day.

There is *no barrier* to converting *all* files
to conformant UTF-8, except a couple hours' hacking to make
`help-with-tutorial' and `view-hello-file' recognize language tags.

I already proposed that for most files, and nobody opposed the idea; see <http://bugs.gnu.org/13936#29>. It's just that nobody has found the "couple hours'" hacking time. Although it's low on my priority list, evidently it's higher on yours; perhaps you can propose a patch? It's not a big deal if you can't; I expect eventually someone will get around to it.

Ah, so you've never lived anywhere but Kansas, Dorothy?

I'm well aware of all the problems you mentioned. None of them are valid arguments that it's a "bug" to use "grep -r" in the Emacs source directory. Conversely, it appears that you did not read the file admin/notes/unicode carefully; if you had, you would not be asserting so blithely that there is "no barrier" to converting all Emacs source files to UTF-8.