Re: replying to Debbugs

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: replying to Debbugs
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:21:36 +0000

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 03:16:05AM -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:

> > If we are going to discontinue the newsgroup, we should inform users
> > who use that newsgroup.

> Nobody uses it.

It is unknown how many people use it.

> A handful of times a year, someone tries to post something to it. It
> gets trapped in the bug-gnu-emacs mailman moderation, and I reject it
> with a request to resend it by mail.

How often does such a poster actually resubmit via email?

> (Alan is also a list moderator and approves his own messages.)

> If it was up to me, we'd simply make that rejection automatic and get on
> with life.

You'd shut down the entire newgroup, I think you said somewhere else on
the thread.  But at the moment it's consuming only machine resources
(apart from the efforts of the moderators).  It would take effort to
shut down and is currently useful (no matter how little).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).