Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 07:51:35 -0600

>>>>> "Phillip" == Phillip Lord <address@hidden> writes:

Phillip> Would it not be possible to have package.el check when it
Phillip> installs packages from ~/.emacs.d if that package is also in
Phillip> Emacs core and then remove the relevant paths from load-path.

FWIW my original intent was that packages in this category (both
distributed with emacs and separately as well) would be managed in the
Emacs install tree using package.el, following the usual activation
approach.

I never implemented the needed changes on the Emacs side.  I don't think
anybody else did either.

And while this would be an improvement (IMO) it also carries a cost --
you can't refer to these packages before package-initialize is called.
So, there's some startup ordering trickiness.

Also this doesn't solve all problems.  Upgrading packages will be
troublesome as long as there's no way to unload a package.  Though
perhaps async compilation plus offering to restart Emacs would be good
enough.

Tom