Re: Version naming

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Version naming
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 18:03:11 -0400

> At the cost of a lot of disk space, you can install each of those in a
> separate chroot. I don't know if that qualifies as "easily" for you;

No, it definitely doesn't qualify.  First, because the problem is to
solve it within the Debian package system whereas your solution works
around it.  Second because if you're willing to solve it outside the
package system, then there are simpler solutions that use up a lot less
disk space ;-)

Among the solutions that use up less disk space:
- don't install the .debs but just compile manually and "make install".
- patch the .debs so they all get a different name.

> I got used to chroot when I was maintaining a couple Debian packages.

chroot can be handy, indeed, but it comes with its own set of problems.

        Stefan