Re: add emms to ELPA

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: add emms to ELPA
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 19:16:57 -0400

Hello. I've picked up the maintainership of Emms and am slowly going
through the backlog.

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> emms is an emacs music player
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/
>> Since it's already a GNU project, I think all the paperwork is taken
>> care of.
>
> As Richard explained, there's no such guarantee, but indeed
> copyright.list includes a 16 assignments for EMMS, so it seems very
> likely to the paperwork has been taken care of.  Please check with
> the maintainer.

I went through the AUTHORS file included in Emms and compared it to the
entries in copyright.list. Every person except one listed in the AUTHORS
file has either an assignment for Emms or for Emacs on file (and some,
like me, have both).

I tracked down the commit for the one person who didn't have any
assignments with the FSF, and it turns out that commit is a trivial
single line of change:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emms.git/commit/?id=c4a18712be3b036a2336db631a534d0e3ce162b9

I've removed his name from the AUTHORS file and placed it in a THANKGNU
file instead.

Could there have been significant commits in the past from people who
were not included in the AUTHORS file? Perhaps, but I can't think of an
trustworthy way of figure out if this is the case.

>> I might have time to include it in ELPA.
>
> It would be great.  The only potential problem is how to keep the `elpa'
> code up-to-date.  I.e. either move the focus of development directly in
> the `elpa' branch, or get someone to take on the responsability to sync
> the two (both ways) on a regular basis.

I think that syncing makes sense so that other contributors can still
commit to Savannah without needing to learn of a new place to send their
modifications.