Re: why do some programming modes have customize hooks and others do not

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: why do some programming modes have customize hooks and others do not?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 00:44:18 +0200

On Saturday 18 October 2014 17:46:14 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Maybe define-derived-mode should define the hook with defcustom.
> I guess we'd need some motivation (other than "consistency") for that,
> such as what would be the benefit to define the hook as a defcustom if
> all the defcustom says is ":type hook".

I've started working on a patch to add `:options' flags to mode hooks, such as
`imenu-add-menubar-index' for modes supporting imenu or `eldoc-mode' for modes
supporting eldoc.  In that process I started adding `defcustom' for hooks to
modes which lacked one.  Since I'm currently busy with real work I stopped
working on it.  If there is interest I could push the current state.  But this
could of course also be a motivation to add such a feature to `define-derived-
mode'.  Although I'm not sure how to best represent it.  A `:hook-options'
would probably miss the point.  Maybe a `:supported-minor-modes' option?

Regards,
Rüdiger