Re: why do some programming modes have customize hooks and others do not

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: why do some programming modes have customize hooks and others do not?
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:07:55 +0100

> If I use a hooked function to autoload my package, then using the
> non-customize hook won't work. The user ends up having to require my
> package in their .emacs.

I don't understand. Why would the hooked function not load your package?

> I think the route of all this is that there are a significant number of
> authors who don't care about customize and don't try and use it.

Yes.
Another possible solution to this conundrum would be for the customize
interface itself to provide special treatment on hook variables.

Customize can keep track of which functions were added through
the interface.
Whenever the hook is customized, only those items are displayed
on the interface (or maybe the other items are displayed but not editable).
When the user makes some change and performs a save, Customize then
saves only the user-added functions. The other ones are left in the
hook, but they are not saved to “custom-file”.

This would have almost no effect on the user and the authors, but
would prevent packages from leaving garbage behind. It might be a
little cumbersome to code, but I don't forsee any fundamental problems
with it.

Anyone?