Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 05:47:23 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:32:28 -0400
>
> > It's a timer that just walks the buffer list.
>
> To me running this code 100 times per second sounds very expensive
> CPU-wise.

Any measurements to support that?

Anyway, if 0.01 s is too expensive, you can always make it 0.2 s,
which is also "instantaneous" in human reaction time terms, but is 20
times less expensive CPU-wise.

> I think that with inotify support, we should be able to handle
> efficiently (i.e. with prompt refresh and with almost no CPU use when no
> files are modified) a situation where the user enabled
> global-auto-revert-mode with a 100 file buffers.

You do remember that we actually watch the directory of the file, not
the file itself, right?  And you do know how the inotify events are
processed by Emacs, right?