Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify

From: Per Starbäck
Subject: Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:08:37 +0200

> I think we need to consider the broader picture here.  It is possible
> that you have in mind a situation where only one buffer, or a small
> number of buffers, are under auto-revert.  But what if there are
> dozens of them?  And what about remote files, whose access is
> expensive/slow?

I have no idea about the performance issues are. I mostly reacted to you saying
that there's no point in having "immediate" updates. For me it's
obvious that that's
what we would like. These five seconds can really be five seconds of
waiting for a user.
If dired auto-updates when new files are added I think it often will
be typical behavior
to start waiting for a reaction from Emacs immediately after you
create a file in some other way,
as an example.

Can there be a point in changing behaviour for buffers that are
displayed in some window?
(Or would it be too much overhead?)