Re: "Official" binary of Emacs-24.4 for MS-Windows

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: "Official" binary of Emacs-24.4 for MS-Windows
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:21:49 +0200

>> To produce the binary distribution, should I do a plain "make
>> install"? Or perhaps:
>>   make install GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG=
>> ?
>
> I don't see a reason not to compress files.  Emacs can display and use
> them just fine, even if gzip.exe is not installed/available, right?

I've always used "GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG=".  Now I've tried a plain
"make install", and something goes wrong: if I open the installed
Emacs "runemacs -Q" and do "C-h r", the manual does not open.  The
*info* buffer is empty and the *Messages* buffer has:
  user-error: No such node or anchor: Top

I've just made a second install (from the same build), this time with
"GZIP_INFO= GZIP_PROG=".  In this installation the above problem does
not happen.

--
Dani Moncayo