Re: Unfreezing the display during auto-repeated scrolling.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unfreezing the display during auto-repeated scrolling.
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 20:22:01 -0400

> Yes, I do.  However, I can't persuade myself that this is anything but a
> special case.  Do people actually use mixtures of faces where the font
> isn't the same as the default's?  What for?

FWIW, I do, because I prefer the "unholy mix of fonts" than the "angry
fruit salad".  More specifically, I like my font-lock "colors" to go
only from grey to black, and then use bold/italics/serif/proportional
features to make further distinctions.

This said, I try to keep those fonts of the same pixel height (tho
I sometimes fail, as witnessed by one of my bug reports).

But even discounting these weirdos, there are also cases such as
latex-mode's use of font-lock to make some parts of the text appear in
super/subscript, or other uses that might make section titles larger.

I'm not convinced such minor inconsistencies in "pagedown+pageup" are
a serious problem, tho.  Especially if it only happens after the user
explicitly said he was willing to sacrifice a bit of something in
exchange for more responsive scrolling.

        Stefan