Re: git transition issues

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: git transition issues
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:16:57 -0700

David> On 10/26/14 5:07 PM, address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:
>> lisp/version.el: The bzr-specific code for version extraction will be
>> obsolete.  The git-specific code is very broken.  Among other
>> problems, in my stock Ubuntu environment the git log command it
>> generates always fails, apparently because it can't find terminal
>> capabilities it wants.

David> From version.el:
David>                    (call-process "git" nil '(t nil) nil "log"
David>                                  "-1" "--pretty=format:%N")

David> This looks wrong to me. %N is the commit's note from "git notes".
David> Perhaps this should be %H, to get the commit hash? And if so, I think
David> the better way is with "git show-ref", as it's a plumbing command where
David> "git log" is not (git log likes to redirect stuff through your $PAGER,
etc).

David>   git show-ref -s --head ^HEAD

Consider instead something like "git describe --tags HEAD", which
generates a fairly short yet meaningful and distinct value regardless of
where HEAD is.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig