Re: git transition issues

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: git transition issues
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:31:03 -0700

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <address@hidden> writes:

Randal> Consider instead something like "git describe --tags HEAD", which
Randal> generates a fairly short yet meaningful and distinct value regardless of
Randal> where HEAD is.

That pulls in too many tags.  This is closer:

  git describe --tags --match "EMACS_2*" HEAD

which will break when emacs version 30 comes out, but it's good enough
for now.  For example, for the current origin/emacs-24 commit, that
comes out as:

  EMACS_23_4-22895-g6b5af2d

which says we're 22895 commits past EMACS_23_4 in the repo, and the last
8 chars are "g" plus the head of the sha1 (6b5af2d), uniquely
identifying the commit.

If the head is precisely the tag, the output is just the tag, so for:

  git describe --tags --match "EMACS_2*" EMACS_23_4

we get

  EMACS_23_4

I think this has the properties you want, although the first part might
require massaging.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig