Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 22:33:16 +0100

On Sunday 26 October 2014 08:55:31 Michael Albinus wrote:
> > Are there OSs where emacs supports
> > notifications ONLY through glib?
>
> On BSD-like systems, including MacOS X, you can use only gfile these
> days from Emacs. There exist a native library kqueue which ought to
> implement file notifications, but nobody wrote an Emacs integration so
> far. And AFAIU, gfile uses internally kqueue on those systems (not
> tested by myself).

I was looking at adding kqueue support as well when I wrote the inotify
implementation.  However, the kqueue API is so bad that it makes even the w32
API look good in comparison.  (kqueue is probably also the reason why the
gfile API is so limited compared to inotify.  They simply can't implement a
lot of it on BSD.  We all have to suffer because of kqueue even if we use
saner systems.)

Maybe on GNU/Linux the default could be set to inotify or would this break
using gfile on remote systems via tramp?

Regards,
Rüdiger