Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:49:17 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> > But if you write run-on text without summary lines *in comments*,
>
> I didn't say not to write a summary line.  I opposed your recommendation
> "don't write the traditional GNUish run-on change comment".

Well, I still recommend that. But there are two distinct practice issues
here:

(1) The traditional way of writing run-on comments *discourages* writing
proper summary lines - instead we get grab-bags of only quasi-related changes
in a bullet list, with  only the first like of the first bullet list
accidently visible as a summary.  We need to stop doing this.

(2) Summary lines aside, commits that *have* to be described with a
bullet list are almost always overgrown lumps that should have been
better partitioned, if only so the changes will be easier to read later.

DVCSes encourage lots of fine-grained commits that are one single
thought each.  Embrace this, it's good for you.