Re: eieio, pretty printing, and edebug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: eieio, pretty printing, and edebug
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:34:59 -0400

> objects to be a part of the "safety" routine -- would it be unreasonable
> to make edebug aware of eieio, and move most of the logic of
> `eieio-edebug-prin1-to-string' into `edebug-safe-prin1-to-string',
> guarded by a `featurep'?

I don't think it'd be better than using advice-add, actually.

If you want it to be cleaner, the first step is to replace
the edebug-prin1-to-string function with a variable
edebug-prin1-to-string-function (so it's clear that it's meant to be
changed), and hence to modify it with add-function rather than
advice-add.

The even better way, as mentioned earlier, is to change prin1's
underlying infrastructure so eieio can hook into it.

        Stefan