Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:21:11 -0400

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:11:55 +0100 Michael Albinus
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> If people on BSD/OS X do not want to use glib, somebody shall
> >> write kqueue support. But it is said to be a hassle,
> >
> > .. and a waste of time since glib already does it for us,
>
> I agree with you. But *if* somebody writes native kqueue support,
> because he doesn't want to touch glib on OS X: would you as Emacs
> maintainer reject this contribution?

I've been reading the actual code. So far, I'm not sure
how glib could be conveniently used here on Mac OS X even if one
wanted to. From what I can tell, the glib code seems to depend on the
central event loop being managed by glib/gtk, which is not the case
on a port that uses a different GUI. There are also different select
replacements (ns_select vs xg_select etc) used on the different
platforms because they have differing event loop handling.

I might be mistaken, though. I've never read any of the low level
event handling code before and I'm still a bit fuzzy on all the
details.

It also *seems* like Emacs currently is very much wired to use select
and select-like things for its low level event handling. This means
using a different mechanism (say, epoll or kqueue) a challenge.
Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden