Re: DVCS design philosophy

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: DVCS design philosophy
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:59:34 -0400

> I sometimes regret this, as I am quite prone to typos.  But I don't
> think the Bzr/Git/Hg choice to make programmer's intent part of that
> record is unreasonable, either.  One property it does guarantee is
> non-repudiability.

[ This is getting very far from Emacs, but I find it interesting, so here
  I am.  Did I say it was my last message in this thread?  ]

My view on this is that we need to distinguish the tree from the ways to
get to it.  So, the revision would get a hash which only depends on the
files in it and not on the commit message, nor the author, nor the
parent revisions.  Then the arcs between revisions (i.e. the patches)
would have their own hash which would take into account the author, the
commit message, the date, and of course the hashes of the "from" and
"to" revisions.

        Stefan