Re: Comment conventions, adding an explicit Header.

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Comment conventions, adding an explicit Header.
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:42:49 +0000

Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Phillip,
> * Phillip Lord <address@hidden> [30. Oct. 2014]:
>> I have written a mode which transforms an Emacs-Lisp file into an
>> org-mode file. So you can view (and edit) your comments in org-mode,
>> while maintaining a normal elisp file (i.e. it doesn't require tangling
>> as an org-mode babel file would).
>
> How does this relate to outorg by Thorsten Jolitz?
>
> https://github.com/tj64/outorg

>From a user perspective, outorg allows you to edit your code and then
switch to a chunk of documentation and then back out again. This is much
the same paradigm as org-babel, except in reverse (where the
documentation is key, and you edit code a chunk at a time).

With my code (linked-buffer), you see both the code and the
documentation at the same time. So, for example, org-mode folding makes
sense in my case, because you see the whole buffer. You can navigate to
the bit of code you are interested in the folded documentation, and then
jump back to the code. You can publish your code using the org-mode
publication facilities. Instead of special commands to switch modes and
stop when you have finished, you just change buffer.

Set against this, outorg is mature and linked-buffer is not.
Linked-buffer is computationally intensive - which I am trying to
improve, but it may or may not be possible. And linked-buffer's do
strange things to undo.

It's an experiment. I didn't write it for emacs-lisp and org-mode, but
it should be adaptable to that purpose, so it seemed worth a try.

Phil