Re: Emacs 24.4 and advice

From: Trey Jackson
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.4 and advice
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:02:58 -0700

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
What do you use them for?

It's left over code, I presume they were there because, upon first read of the documentation, it looked as though you needed to call (ad-start-advice) to get things going.

> Whatever you think of people (over)using 'advice, the 'ad-start-advice and
> 'ad-stop-advice were a part of the tutorial and documentation in 24.3.

Which tutorial are you referring to?

advice.el (distributed with Emacs 24.3) lines 861-1694, beginning with:

;; @ Foo games: An advice tutorial
;; ===============================
;; The following tutorial was created in Emacs 18.59. Left-justified
;; s-expressions are input forms followed by one or more result forms.
;; First we have to start the advice magic:
;;
;; (ad-start-advice)
;; nil

Though it's also in the info pages installed on my machine - I have no idea where/when they're from.

TJĀ

--
Trey Jackson
address@hidden

"Like any truly useful program, `hello' contains a built-in mail reader."
-- GNU's Bulletin, July 1996