Re: Generalizing find-definition

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: Generalizing find-definition
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 21:17:25 +0100

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 20:51:40 +0100
Helmut Eller <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02 2014, Jorgen Schaefer wrote:
>
> > Could you elaborate a bit on what you'd like to see for "a good
> > UI"? My idea so far was to simply have modes provide a function
> > that returns a marker or nil, while the function can check for
> > interactive calls if it wants to, and use that in the usual go to
> > location in same window/other window/other frame and go back. But
> > I'm very open to ideas to make this better.
>
> Let me define a bit of terminology that I use in SLIME:
> [...]

Thank you for the elaborate explanation!

> The primary complication for a "good UI" is the case when there is
> more than one candidate.

Yes; I deliberately omitted this for my initial proposal, as this is
definitely not simple, and I suspect no matter how it is done, it will
leave *someone* unhappy.

> BTW: M-x rgrep needs to solve similar UI issues as it also needs to
> deal with a "list of candidates".  Maybe there's an opportunity to
> share/unify some things.

I think it would be possible to optionally return a list of markers
from `find-definition-function', which would then be displayed in a
buffer similar to rgrep/compile.

Thank you for the idea. I like that.

Regards,
Jorgen