Re: "Readability" feature in eww

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: "Readability" feature in eww
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 10:37:47 +0100

On Monday 03 November 2014 01:41:14 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> This is a heuristic, of course, so it can be tweaked endlessly.  The
> current algorithm just gives most words a positive score, HTML markup a
> negative score, and words inside <a> tags a negative score.  For such a
> simple algorithm, it seems to give pretty good results.
>
> But tweaking is necessary for it to be ... better.  If anybody has ideas
> for tweaks or better algorithms, please be my guest and have at it.

HTML5 has introduced tags such as <main> and <article>, which can be used to
identify the important parts.  I'm not sure how widespread their use thus far
is (I think org-mode supports it already if one sets the HTML5 export option).
But at least adding them to the heuristic might help.

E.g., https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/main

Regards,
Rüdiger