Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 12:13:03 -0800

On 11/03/14 20:20 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm a conkeror user, and find this system a wonderful way to avoid the
>> mouse. One key feature is that, in addition to typing the number, you
>> can type a substring of the anchor text, and conkeror will progressively
>> narrow down the set of matching links, often until there's only one, and
>> you just hit RET. For certain types of website, you could wear out your
>> TAB key before you found the link you wanted.
>
> I haven't used Conkeror, but it's basically a browser like Firefox,
> right?  So you don't have a cursor that you can move around?
>
> In that case, jumping to numbered links makes more sense, but in Emacs,
> you can just hold down the `down' key a bit to move past masses of
> links, or whatever.  Moving around in en Emacs buffer is usually not
> really that much work.
>
> In Firefox, though, it's pretty awful.  If you don't use the mouse
> there, you have to TAB forever.

Yeah, it's actually built on xulrunner, which is firefox's guts. But
it's heavily influenced by emacs (uses a bunch of the same keybindings,
concepts and terminology), so cross-pollination would be amusing. Not
using the mouse at all is a stated goal.

Obviously some people will find link-jumping crucial, others not. But
those who like it *really* like it.

Perhaps a plug-in for ace-jump-mode would be sufficient.

Eric