Re: Generalizing find-definition

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Generalizing find-definition
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:46:33 +0900

Jorgen Schaefer writes:

 > The only single string that reliably would allow to find the
 > correct definition would be "foo.Foo.baz", but I do not think that
 > anyone would consider that to be "the identifier at point" here.

Why not?  Emacs's practical definition of "identifier at point"
doesn't need to be the same as that of the programming language's
grammar.  I have no trouble taking both points of view, although
usually at different times.

 > So what I am saying is that the only representation for "the identifier
 > at point" that allows finding the definition of said identifier is the
 > triple (file name, full buffer contents, position within the buffer
 > contents). There is no simpler "identifier at point".

In some sense, you always need full buffer contents except for the
very simplest of programs.