Re: "Readability" feature in eww

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "Readability" feature in eww
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:51:58 +0100

Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> HTML5 has introduced tags such as <main> and <article>, which can be
> used to identify the important parts.  I'm not sure how widespread
> their use thus far is (I think org-mode supports it already if one
> sets the HTML5 export option).  But at least adding them to the
> heuristic might help.

I kinda doubt that.  Even if you disregard the fact that semantic markup
will never happen because of reasons, newspapers (and the like) have
different goals than their readers have.

We want to read the article.  The web site owners want to 1) present us
with as many ads as possible, and 2) lots of new links that we can click
on, so that they can (see 1).