Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:18:03 +0100

Andrey Kotlarski <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andrey,

>> Or another nice and similar approach was to have a command
>> `eww-isearch-links' which does what isearch does but considers only
>> link texts.  Probably, that would also be easier to implement as you
>> don't need to add dozens of overlays displaying link numbers/chars.
>
> Just to mention, eww-lnum does this too, just like Conkeror.  You can
> type characters and matching links will be narrowed down (and still
> assigned numbers).

Oh, cool.

> Sometimes I go to pages with too many links and just know I'm looking
> for "Doc[s]" section or something.  I don't even bother looking at the
> page, just press `f`, type "doc" and immediately see what's of
> interest.  Often in this situation all left is to hit RET or if there
> are several matches left and the right one is not selected, just hit a
> digit.

Well, one think that I don't like is that `f <something>' only considers
the links that are currently visible.  For example, when visiting the
Emacs homepage and point being on top, I expect that `f imag' will show
me the "ImageMagick" link in the Releases section.  But since that's not
in the visible buffer portion, I can only type `f i' and the link "JOIN
THE FSF" is highlighted as first match.  I can't even input the next
char of "imagemagick", i.e., m, anymore, because there's no such match
in the visible part of the page.

So basically I like the feature a lot but I'd prefer if it operated on
the whole page, not only the visible buffer portion.  That is, I think
it would be ok if the numbers started with 1 at the beginnig of the
visible buffer portion but extended to the end of the page so that `f
<something>' has a search-forward behavior without bound.

Bye,
Tassilo