Re: Turning off colorization

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 06:31:33 -0500

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:11:34 +0100 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

DK> Syntax highlighting is an established term for this.  Even the
DK> description of font-lock-mode has the summary

DK>     Toggle syntax highlighting in this buffer (Font Lock mode).

DK> and every editor capable of doing it calls it "syntax highlighting".
DK> Colorization, in contrast, is a much more generic term missing the
DK> connotation of the _meaning_ with which colors are assigned.

Some color-blind or visually impaired people may want syntax
highlighting but not colorization. I think that was the original reason
for this request: rendering HTML with no colors for better contrast in a
specific terminal configuration.

In HTML we can specify colors explicitly or indirectly through styles
(equivalent to syntax highlighting). Viewing a web page without color,
therefore, is different from viewing it without syntax highlighting.

So maybe Emacs could offer a way to turn off colors without turning off
syntax highlighting, at least in SHR. I think it would be generally
useful, but don't know if and how it could work generally.

(I also agree that `colorization-mode' and `syntax-highlight-mode' are
better names for `font-lock-mode'.)

Ted