Re: Turning off colorization

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:52:04 +0000

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:11:34 +0100 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> DK> Syntax highlighting is an established term for this.  Even the
> DK> description of font-lock-mode has the summary
>
> DK>     Toggle syntax highlighting in this buffer (Font Lock mode).
>
> DK> and every editor capable of doing it calls it "syntax highlighting".
> DK> Colorization, in contrast, is a much more generic term missing the
> DK> connotation of the _meaning_ with which colors are assigned.
>
> Some color-blind or visually impaired people may want syntax
> highlighting but not colorization. I think that was the original reason
> for this request: rendering HTML with no colors for better contrast in a
> specific terminal configuration.
>
> In HTML we can specify colors explicitly or indirectly through styles
> (equivalent to syntax highlighting). Viewing a web page without color,
> therefore, is different from viewing it without syntax highlighting.
>
> So maybe Emacs could offer a way to turn off colors without turning off
> syntax highlighting, at least in SHR. I think it would be generally
> useful, but don't know if and how it could work generally.

This would be a matter of picking a different "colour" scheme surely?
One with no colours, but using the other elements that you talk about.
I have a high-vis colour scheme (white background rather than my usual
dark) which I use on my laptop on a sunny day, for instance.

Then a command line option to choose it, to avoid the bootstrap problem
of not being able to see emacs properly to choose the option.

Of course, you'd need to ask an accessibility expert as to whether this
would help or not.

Phil