Re: nextstep/INSTALL: universal binaries

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: nextstep/INSTALL: universal binaries
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 14:55:29 -0500

On Nov 4, 2014, at 5:41 PM, Perry E. Metzger <address@hidden> wrote:

> I presume then that universal binaries aren't ever used for combo
> 32bit and 64bit executable bundles? (I honestly don't know, I've
> never paid attention.)

Yes, you can do that.  For a distributable binary, it seems like a waste of
space and bandwidth, though, as the 64bit version is not that much more
performant, and the 32bit version is only required by a small minority of users.

I have stopped distributing the 32bit+PPC universal builds (for new versions)
about a year ago, and switched to 64bit binaries only.  Users can compile it
themselves if need be.
This was done based on analysis of actual Aquamacs usage data, where the need
for 32bit (and also PCC) was minuscule, and had been for quite a long time.

This applies to Mac hardware only.