Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:10:23 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> In Emacs-25.1, I'd like to start bundling some GNU ELPA packages into
>>> Emacs.
>> Now I'm curious.  What's the purpose of having a package system and then
>> bundling packages?
>
> I'm sure the XEmacs guys could tell you ;-)
>
> Having a package in ELPA means that it can be updated independently
> from Emacs.
>
> Having packages in elpa.git instead of emacs.git makes their release
> schedules independent.

Actually, you forgot the most important thing: ELPA packages don't have
to provide Changelogs... That alone would be reason enough for me to
move CEDET to ELPA.

Another advantage could be that you'd be able to provide security fixes
through ELPA for those packages without having to do a new Emacs release
(see also: Emacs 23.4), although this would involve more work to
"somehow" make this automatic.

-David