Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 00:28:18 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> In Emacs-25.1, I'd like to start bundling some GNU ELPA packages
> into Emacs.  The most obvious such package is Org (whose Git code
> should move out of emacs.git and into elpa.git), but others will be
> added, I'm sure (probably Company, for example).

(A very confusing long thread followed.)

Some people seem to interpret this as you saying that you want to remove
some packages from Emacs and put them into Elpa.  But what you're saying
here is the opposite -- you want to bundle (some) Elpa packages into
Emacs.

I think you're not quite communicating what the purpose here is.  Do you
want to move some bits of Emacs into a place where it can be updated
faster than other bits of Emacs?

Or do you wish to slim down "Emacs" by moving bits of it into Elpa, but
then bundle Elpa into Emacs anyway?

But then there's this:

> Once the infrastructure is in place, we will have the opportunity to
> look at those things.  Note that Gnus is probably not an easy option
> since several parts of it are also used by non-Gnus code
> (e.g. message.el for bug reports).

So if you're bundling Elpa into Emacs, why would this matter anyway?
Won't it always be available anyway?

To put my query here more succinctly:

"Huh?"

Please clarify.