Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 08:21:50 +0100

David Engster writes:
> Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> I think you're not quite communicating what the purpose here is.
>>
>> Currently the purpose is to move Org to elpa.git and to add company to
>> Emacs without moving it to emacs.git.
>>
>> Once that is supported, maybe some other packages will want to do like
>> Org, but it's a separate discussion and there's no hurry for that one.
>
> I second Lars' confusion here, and you didn't really answer his
> question: if we "bundle a package from ELPA", it is *always* available,
> isn't it? So how's that a problem if a package is also used by other
> code in Emacs?

And to add to your second paragraph: I'm afraid there's a bit of a hurry
w.r.t. to CEDET. Once Emacs has moved to git, all my merging setup will
be tears in rain. CEDET will switch to git as well, but I'm not eager to
first setup a new patch-by-patch merging script and then move to yet
another solution. As I've said, my idea was to import CEDET as a
git-subtree in Emacs, but if we go the ELPA-bundle route, that should be
done rather sooner than later before the two repositories diverge too
much.

-David