Re: History for query replace pairs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: History for query replace pairs
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 00:51:38 +0200

> I'm okay with delaying the changes in the manual, but as for NEWS, you
> cannot expect people who track the trunk to start using something
> about which they have no hints at all.  At the very least, post some
> initial information here.  Also, NEWS can explain features that have
> no expression at all in user-level options; as long as there are
> user-visible changes in behavior or keybindings or their meaning, this
> is definitely NEWS-worthy stuff.

I just added a few lines about this feature to NEWS.

> You could do that test only in interactive calls

It seems the only remaining place to use char-displayable-p is
in the interactive call, and like isearch-text-char-description
replaces every character for its display representation, this code
could do something similar to convert the characters to be displayable:

(setq query-replace-from-to-separator
      (propertize
       query-replace-from-to-separator
       'display
       (mapconcat
        (lambda (c)
          (if (or (char-displayable-p c)
                  (not (eq c ?\u2192)))
              (char-to-string c)
            "->"))
        (get-text-property 0 'display query-replace-from-to-separator)
        "")))

Or maybe better would be to create two variables
with different versions of the separator?