Re: trunk r118306: epg: Utilize --pinentry-mode added in GnuPG 2.1

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: trunk r118306: epg: Utilize --pinentry-mode added in GnuPG 2.1
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:24:31 +0900

Apparently, I missed Cc: to the list.  Resending with a bit more info,
for those interested.

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> does this mean `epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption' can
> work with GnuPG 2.1?  Do you plan to enable that functionality?

With GnuPG 2.1, the variable is even not necessary anymore.  When you set
epa-pinentry-mode to loopback, gpg-agent (now internally invoked by gpg)
talks to Emacs.  That means the passphrase you input from the minibuffer
will be cached in the gpg-agent's cache.

If you are on Debian sid, you can try it with:

- install GnuPG 2.1 package from experimental:
  $ apt-get install gnupg2/experimental

- add 'allow-loopback-pinentry' to ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
  $ echo allow-loopback-pinentry >> ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf

- set epg-gpg-program to "gpg2" and also epa-pinentry-mode to 'loopback

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno