Re: History for query replace pairs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: History for query replace pairs
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 17:10:17 -0500

>> char-displayable-p doesn't work reliably for text-terminals.
> I think it's the other way around: it's not 100% reliable on GUI
> frames, due to half-hearted way we test whether the available fonts
> support the character.

It's not 100% reliable for GUI frames (especially if the test doesn't
pay attention to the `face' that's added), but for tty frames it's even
worse since the only thing we (can) test is whether the char can be
encoded in the terminal's coding-system.  With the typical utf-8
encoding used under GNU/Linux and OSX nowadays this basically means that
char-displayable-p under ttys will almost always return t, regardless of
whether the text-terminal's font can actually display such a char (and
since text-terminals are usually restricted to monospaced fonts, they
have much less liberty to "look for alternative fonts" when faced with
an unusual char, so it's much more frequent that they just can't
display a character).

        Stefan