Re: %AppData% on Windows instead of %UserProfile% by default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: %AppData% on Windows instead of %UserProfile% by default?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:08:03 +0200

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:49:27 +0100
> From: Alexander Shukaev <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> True, but probably a decent fraction of users still tend to keep "emacs.d" in
> %UserProfile% similarly to how they keep "emacs.d" in $HOME on Unix.

I'd like to hear from some of the users in that fraction.  (I
understand that you are one of them, but I never heard about such a
place for .emacs.d, so it would be good to hear from others.)

> 1 If %HOME% is defined, use it (current);
> 2 If "emacs.d" is present in %UserProfile%, use it (new);
> 3 Fallback to %AppData% (current).

If indeed this is a popular choice, I see no reason not to support
it.  But please note that we have more fallbacks than just the 2 you
mention, mostly for historical reasons.