Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:29:56 -0500

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:37:50 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Yes. I think that's what Stefan was asking for. But Stefan seems to
>> prefer the elpakit approach, which is fine too (Nic has a nice
>> comparison section at https://github.com/nicferrier/elpakit).

SM> That's a misunderstanding.  I don't prefer any of those options because
SM> I don't actually know anything about them (or close enough).

>> (Stefan: would you and the other maintainers be open to Cask+Pallet
>> *and* elpakit in Emacs?  Or is that too much choice?)

SM> If someone cared to explain what that would do and why that would imply
SM> "choice", I could tell you.

I provided URLs to Pallet's repo on Github and to Nic's comparison of
Cask (which Pallet uses underneath) and elpakit (the comparison is on
the elpakit repo home page, also on Github). I described how Pallet
currently works with advice and how it could be improved to use hooks.

Sorry if I didn't explain things better.  What's unclear?

In terms of popularity, Cask seems really popular so it's worth at least
a look.

Ted