Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:26:14 -0500

> I provided URLs to Pallet's repo on Github and to Nic's comparison of
> Cask (which Pallet uses underneath) and elpakit (the comparison is on
> the elpakit repo home page, also on Github).  I described how Pallet
> currently works with advice and how it could be improved to use hooks.
> Sorry if I didn't explain things better.  What's unclear?

I guess I just don't understand what those things do, nor how they do
it, and your explanations didn't really help.

E.g. does one of those things make it so that M-x package-install will
add the package to some list of "explicitly installed packages"?
If so, which tool, and how does it do it?  AFAICT it can only do that
via advice currently.  Of course, it can be changed to use hooks, but
why bother, when we can just modify package-install directly?

        Stefan