Re: %AppData% on Windows instead of %UserProfile% by default?

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: %AppData% on Windows instead of %UserProfile% by default?
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:46:19 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> More importantly, we are following the platform guidelines, which
> say:
>
> CSIDL_PROFILE          Version 5.0. The user's profile folder.  A typical
> FOLDERID_Profile       path is C:\Users\username.
>                        Applications should not create files or folders
>                      at this level; they should put their data under
>                      the locations referred to by CSIDL_APPDATA or
>                      CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA.

I think that it depends on how you interpret "their data".
Applications store data in %APPDATA%, but data which are invisible to the user
(browser web cache, history, etc.)
It is hardly the case for .emacs.d, it is not a byproduct of running Emacs,
or at least not everything in there.
And from this point of view, %UserProfile% is closer to what $HOME is under
Unix.

Actually, to make Emacs more "Windows" friendly would probably require
to setup a configuration quite different from the GNU/Unix one.

My $0.02,

Fabrice