Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:53:29 -0500

> I don't think a custom var is as good as something persistent in the
> file system.

OTOH, a Custom var is the standard way Emacs stores persistent
user choices (and the set of installed packages is a user choice).

>> So I'd have an (empty) package named "user-packages" and it depends on
>> exactly those packages I named, possibly with their version specified?
>> And I could maybe have a number of additional packages to create
>> something of a hierarchy of such things?  Like a "system-packages"
>> package that my "user-packages" package can depend on (or not if I don't
>> want to)?
> Elpakit let's you do that.

Ah, that's where you're going.  I kind of like the idea, but I don't
like the idea of editing the content of packages in ~/.emacs.d/elpa
(even if only for some "special" packages like "user-package").

        Stefan