Re: %AppData% on Windows instead of %UserProfile% by default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: %AppData% on Windows instead of %UserProfile% by default?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 05:52:11 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 21:46:19 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
> > More importantly, we are following the platform guidelines, which
> > say:
> >
> > CSIDL_PROFILE          Version 5.0. The user's profile folder.  A typical
> > FOLDERID_Profile       path is C:\Users\username.
> >                        Applications should not create files or folders
> >                    at this level; they should put their data under
> >                    the locations referred to by CSIDL_APPDATA or
> >                    CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA.
>
> I think that it depends on how you interpret "their data".
> Applications store data in %APPDATA%, but data which are invisible to the user
> (browser web cache, history, etc.)
> It is hardly the case for .emacs.d, it is not a byproduct of running Emacs,
> or at least not everything in there.

That is true, which is why I said we try to be compatible "as is
practically possible".  Emacs does writes into files we put there.

> And from this point of view, %UserProfile% is closer to what $HOME is under
> Unix.

No, it is farther: it sufers from the same problems as %AppData%, and
on top of that, platform guidelines request that no files are put
there, only directories.

> Actually, to make Emacs more "Windows" friendly would probably require
> to setup a configuration quite different from the GNU/Unix one.

But that's not what we are trying to do.  We are trying to pick up a
reasonable default for HOME when HOME is not set in the environment.